Welcome to the NMHockey League!
If you are new to New Mexico and looking to continue to play hockey or you have never played the game before, we have something that will fit your skill level and experience. We take inquiries from new players all season long. Please read through the information below, as well as the History , the Rules , Season Details and New Player Sign-up.
League Format: NMHockey currently has programs at two different rinks in New Mexico: The Outpost Ice Arena and The MAC. The league at the Outpost Ice Arena consists of 5 different level divisions with 4 teams in each; E division, D division, C division, B2 division and B1 division. The MAC consists of 2 different level divisions with 4 teams in each; Beginner – Intermediate and Intermediate – Advanced. All games are sanctioned by USA Hockey and all players must be registered with USA Hockey to participate as a rostered player or substitute.
- E = most Beginner – B1 = most Advanced
- Each team consists of 10 skaters and a goalie.
- Substitute players are provided for players unable to make their game.
- New captains are selected at the beginning of each season
- Team rosters are redrafted at the beginning of each season. Rosters and schedule are then announced at our kickoff parties or via the website.
- Each game has 2 USA Hockey sanctioned referees plus a scorekeeper/announcer.
- See Season Details for divisional game days and times.
- A season consists of a regular season and a post-season with playoffs and championship/consolation.
- Every player gets the same number of games regardless of regular or post-season standings.
- Inquiries from new players accepted year round. New players can join the substitute pool and will be considered for mid-season vacancies.
- Games are 1-hr 15-min in length.
- 3 20-min runtime periods.
- 5-min warm up and 1-min breaks between periods.
- 5-min 3 vs. 3 OT period for tied games after regulation.
- 3 vs. 3 shootouts period for games tied after OT.
- Skates (of course)
- Shin Guards
- Cup or Pelvic Protector
- Breezers (Pants)
- Elbow Pads
The following equipment is not required, but is HIGHLY recommended:
- Chest/Shoulder Protection
- Mouth Guard
Note: If you do not own gear and wish to try playing before you commit to purchasing, please contact me as I sometimes have skater equipment to loan.
- Championship Cup – “Norskie Cup”
- Sportsmanship Award
- NMHockey.com features league standings, stats, schedule, photos and more.
- NMHockey hosts social events during the seasons, such as team unveiling parties, Halloween party, etc…